Built atop a mountain 970 meters high, this fortress, called the Citadelle Laferrière, was constructed in 1817.
It was erected by a king of Haiti, King Henry Christophe (1767-1820), then the general of the Haitian army, with the aim of protecting the country against Napoleon, who attempted to take the hinterland after Haiti gained its independence. The Citadelle, located in Milot, in the Nord department, covers about one hectare and involved the work of 20,000 men.
It overlooks the Northern Plain, the Bay of Cap-Haïtien, the Grande Rivière du Nord, and the city of Cap-Haïtien.
Today, almost two hundred years later, this gigantic monument represents for the Haitian people not only the hope of a better future but, more importantly, the highest aspirations of this nation.
In the same spirit, Vision Citadelle aims to participate in the highest aspirations of the Haitians.
Indeed, since its inception in 1995, the organization has worked with Haitians in various areas such as education, environment, agriculture, and the provision of clean water.
Vision Citadelle (VC) is built on Christian values. Just as the Citadelle represents something grand and strong for Haiti, the person of Jesus Christ also represents for VC the greatest. In addition to all humanitarian work, we are concerned with sharing the good news of the gospel to everyone so that each person can make Jesus Christ their personal ‘Citadelle.’
By working on these five areas, we are confident that our efforts will contribute to the flourishing of this beautiful country. For us, all hopes are allowed even when everything seems impossible.
We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to see in many years that the seeds we plant today will bear many good fruits…